Ardgonnell Castle (Ard gConaill) the height of Connall")
The castle was built by the Tynan Branch Ó Neills in 1608 was occupied by Sir Henry Og Ó Neill until 1608; Catherine Ni Neill; Sir Phelim Roe Ó Neill1631– Sir Turlough Ó Neill (Turlough of Ardgonnell Castle) in 1642 – Henry Ó Neill 1668 – granted to - Sir Robert Hamilton1750’s – 1903 – Lord Gosford Estate 1960’s – destroyed it originally stood in the townland of Tiranny.
Aughintain Castle (Aughentaine Castle)
1612 –The castle was built by Sir William O'Neill in1612 and in 1641 was destroyed by Sir Phelim O'Neill
The castle was located at Ballycastle in County Antrim Ireland. The castle existed during the time of John Mor Tanister and was rebuilt by Sorley Boy MacDonnell in 1564. In 1565, the castle was occupied by Shane O’Neill. The castle was removed by Sir Randal Mac Donnell 1ST earl of Antrim in the 17th century. Another castle was erected in 1625 by Sir Randal McDonnell, Earl of Antrim.
The monastery was founded by Conn O’Neill Chief of the Tyrone clan in 1489.
House and Bawn "The house & bawn were built by 1611 by Sir Faulk Conway & taken by the O'Neills in 1641."
Belzise House Hampstead London
London Residence of Colonel Sir Daniel O’Neill, Daniel actually escaped from the tower of London dressed as a women, one of the only a few people to do so in its history. Daniel was also a direct descendant of the O’Neills of Clandeboy.
Benburb Castle Co Tyrone
Is a castle situated in Benburb, county Tyrone, Ireland. It is a Planatationbawn built in 1611 by Sir Richard Wingfield. It is an irregular four-sided bawn with the entrance in the north wall. There are large rectangular flanking towers at the north-east and north-west corners and a smaller round tower at the south-east corner it is built on a limestone cliff overlooking the River Blackwater, the border between County Tyrone and County Armagh.
A 19th century house occupies the south west area of the bawn. The castle is in excellent condition having been recently restored and stands in the grounds of the imposing Servite Priory, a religious order based in the village. The castle was once owned by Shane O’Neill also it is best known, in historical terms, for the battle of Benburb that took place there in 1646 it was occupied by Owen Roe O'Neill before he decisively defeated the English army, led by General Monro. Six months prior to the battle Benburb Castle was taken by Phelim O'Neill who had all the occupants Killed.
This was fought between the armies of Confederate Ireland led by Owen Roe O’Neill and the Scottish Covenanters’ led by Munro. The battle resulted in a crushing victory for O'Neill's men at the townland of Drumflugh around a mile outside the village.Since the Battle of Benburb was a rare 17th century Irish military victory, after Irish independence the new Irish nationalist government named a street in Dublin’s north inner city after Benburb
Ballyneale Castle near Clonmel
Castle built by Conn O’Neill who died in 1629 Conn was Chief of the Uibh Eoghain Fhinn O’Neills
Bone Successo Convent Lisbon.
Portuguese convent, where two daughters of John O’Neill became successively prioresses and where they were buried.
Caledon Castle Co Tyrone
Know as kinard castle was built and owned by Roe O'Neill and then resided in by Turlough O’Neill in 1619 and was destroyed during the battle of Benburb. Kinard Castle
Coney Island Castle (Coney Island Keep)
Built by and resided in by Shane O'Neill in 1567 it was fortified by Sir Philip Sidney.
Creevekeeran Castle (Crifcairn Castle, Criff Keirn Castle, Craobh-chaorthainn "large tree of the rowans")
Built by Tynan Branch Ó Neills in the 17th century then lived in by Lord Caledon in 1888.
Dunngannon Abbey Co Tyrone
Built by Conn O’Neill in 1489
Carrickfergus castle Co Antrim
Built by the Normans but was once lived in by Niall Mor O’Neill sometime before the year 1512, also in the same area was the Convent of Carrickfergus built by Niall Mor O’Neill in 1497
Carra Castle, Antrim
The castle was once occupied by Irish king and Chief Shane O’Neill, and Sorley Boy McDonnell was held as a prisoner here in 1565. In 1567, two years after being defeated by O'Neill, the McDonnell’s entertained him in Castle Carra during two days of hunting and feasting. However, on the third day, 2 June, during a quarrel, they stabbed O'Neill to death to avenge their earlier defeat and sent his head to the English representatives of Queen Elizabeth in Dublin Castle. In 1585, Donnell Gorm MacDonnell was besieged by the English, his father; Sorley Boy landed near the castle and drove off the besiegers. Around 1730, it was known to have been occupied by the Lynch Family. Today the castle is in ruins and overgrown with ivy and is on private land.
Was once the site of the Clann Aodha Buidhe O’Neills inauguration site, the Inauguration chair is now in the Ulster Museum. Clandeboy Area in the north of Ireland principality once owned and controlled by the Clann Aodha Buidhe O’Neills which included both Co Antrim and Co Down.
Cleggan Lodge Co Antrim
Was once hunting lodge belonging to the O’Neills and is still belongs to the family to this day.
Creggan Church yard Co Armagh
Built by the O’Neills of the fews as a burial site for their dead ancestors.
Oliver Cromwell, who is infamous in Ireland, laid siege to Clonmel in May 1650 during his campaign in Ireland. The walls were eventually breached, but Hugh Dubh O'Neill, the commander of the town's garrison, inflicted heavy losses on the New Model Army when they tried to storm the breach.
That night, O'Neill, deciding that further resistance was hopeless due to a lack of ammunition, led his soldiers and camp followers out of the town under cover of darkness. The story is told that Cromwell became suspicious of O'Neill's desperate situation when a silver bullet was discharged by the townspeople at his troops outside the walls.
The following morning, 18 May 1650, Mayor John White was able to surrender the town on good terms as Cromwell was still unaware of the garrison's escape just hours before. Although feeling deceived, he did not put the inhabitants 'to the sword' as occurred elsewhere.
Co Cork Ireland
Home of the Creagh O’Neills
Donaghmore Church Castlefinn Co Donegal
Fifth century church founded by St Patrick it was in this Church that St Patrick first met Eoghan of Ailech, one of the founding fathers of the O’Neill clan.
Drumderg House Co Antrim
Built by the O’Neills of Feeva in 1641.
Dunngannon Castle Co Tyrone
Ancient seat of the O’Neills of Tyrone Dungannon town and Dungannon castle (from Irish: Dún Geanainn, meaning "Geanann's stronghold") The Town of Dungannon has been closely tied to that of the O'Neill dynasty which ruled most of Ulster until the seventeenth century and was the most powerful of all the Gaelic families in Ireland. Dungannon was clan's main stronghold which made it by default the most important settlement in Gaelic Ireland. The traditional site of inauguration for 'The Tyrone O’Neill’ was Tullyhogue Fort, an Iron Age mound some four miles northeast of Dungannon.
The Clan O’Hagan were the stewards of this site for the O'Neills. The last O’Neill castle was located at what is today known as Castle Hill; the location was ideal for a fort as it was one of the highest points in Tyrone, and dominated the surrounding countryside with the ability to see seven counties depending on the weather. Its location ultimately led to the Orange order and the British Army at different times occupying the site.
Ultimately the British Army took over the site for a security installation during the recent War/troubles, only being returned to the local council in August 2007. The castle itself was burned in 1602 by Hugh O'Neill, 2nd Earl of Tyrone as the English forces closed in on him at the end of the Nine Years' War in Ulster. He did so in order to stop the Castle being used by English forces against him for strategic purposes.Presently work continues on the site by Dungannon council and as we all know they are currently behind schedule in finishing a project to enhance Castle hill with a new Museum and renovations to Dungannon towns market square. We have been assured by Dungannon council that our gathering in and around the area next year will be well worth the wait and our gathering in 2013.
Edificio Lusitanaia Seville Spain
Residence of the O’Neill of the fews, Don Carlos O’Neill
Fahan Abbey (Irish: Fathain, meaning "little green/field") (pronounced fawn)
Is a Church and ancient Abbey located in the district of Inishowen, in Co Donegal, Ireland, and located five kilometers south of Buncrana. Fahan is named after its Patron Saint, St Mura who is of course also the Patron Saint of the O’Neill clan. St Mura was the Abbeys first abbot and his famous 7th century cross-slab still sits in the graveyard as a permanent reminder of St. Mura and his achievements to this day. His remains also reside at the site in both the 10th and 13th centuries; the village was ransacked by Vikings.
Fathom Castle Co Armagh
Built on the orders of Shane O’Neill
Is a low hill approximately five miles to the northwest of Navan, County Meath, Ireland. It is owned by the McCabe, Dunne, and English families, and is not open to the public. It is the highest point by Moriarty's. Because the surrounding area of Meath is so flat, the hill is the most prominent feature in the local topography. Historians and folklorists believe that the hill's name originated from fraughan berries which in mediaeval times were recorded as growing all around it. According to legend, Niall of the Nine Hostages, Irish Ard Ri (High King) and ancestor of the Ui Neill, is buried in a cave on the hill.
Franciscan Abbey Cavan Town
Burial site of the Great Owen Roe O’Neill, unmarked grave.
Franciscan Abbey Waterford City
Burial site of Sir Niall O’Neill of the Clandeboy O’Neills, his portrait painted by John Michael Wright still hangs in the National portrait gallery of England.
Glassdrurmmond Castle (Glassdruman Castle)
Built by Henry O'Neill (Son of Red Felim) in the 15th century in 1642 it was partially burned and in 1710 it was destroyed by a man called Patrick Murphy.
Grianan of Aileach (Sun Palace, Grianán Ailigh)
A prehistoric (5th / 1st century BC) stone fort, the Celtic royal seat of the O'Neills, Princes of Ulster it was however built by the McLoughlins and the O'Neills, for more detail please see the title Grianan of Aileach in the history section of the site.
Mount Neal Co Carlow
Home of Benjamin O’Neill house destroyed in 1799
Mount Neill Co kilkenny.
Within the baroney of Iverk home of John O’Neill, O’Neill of the Uibh Eoghain Fhinn
Harry Avery's Castle Co Tyrone
Harry Avery's Castle is situated half a mile south-west of Newtownstewart, County Tyrone, Ireland. Built on a hill, the ruined Harry Avery's Castle is a 14th century Gaelic stone castle - most unusual in Ulster. The castle consisted of a two-storey rectangular construction fronted by the massive D-shaped twin towers of the keep which remain. It was possibly built by Henry Aimbreidh O' Neil (Harry Avery O'Neill) who died in 1392), and certainly named after him. The castle was captured by the English in 1609.
Once governed by Carlos Felix O’Neill direct descendant of the O’Neills of the fews.
A monastery was founded by St Laiseran before 640 on the site of the present ruins of the medieval Old Priory at the junction of High Street, Victoria Road and the Old Bangor Road in Holywood, Co Down. 7th century: Laiseran (later saint) son of Nasca, a local princess, studied at Bangor under St. Comgall and after a time near Cork, returned to found the first church and monastery.
There is some uncertainty whether the site was at the current priory ruins or near the motte by Brooke Street.10th century: the Viking's ravage the area in 956 12th century: an Anglo-Norman Augustinian Abbey built by Thomas Whyte; current ruins largely date from this time 14th century: after the Black Death (1348–1350) Niall O’Neill refurbished the church for the Franciscan Order 16th century: the priory was dissolved on New Years Day, 1541, by Henry VIII; its lands passed to the O’Neill family and later, Sir James Hamilton 19th century: the tower dates from 1806 when this was the site of Holywood’s Parish Church.
Innisloghlin Fort (Inisloughlin Fort)
Was a residence of Hugh O'Neills it was then taken by Chichester in 1602 in turn it was granted to Sir Faulke Conway in 1611 it was expanded and repaired by 1803 the Fort was leveled.
Innisloghlin Castle (Inisloughlin Castle)
Residence of Hugh O'Neills the Castle was an ancient building said to belong to the O'Neills close to the main fort with a draw well which joined the river through a conduit, but not visible now.
Killead Castle ("The Lodge")
Occupied by Sir Nial O'Neill the Castle has only part of the walls & a cellar containing a well that survive the wall is now the gable of a cottage & the cellar is incorporated in a shooting lodge"
1330s the castle was the residence of the Mandeville’s by the 16th century it became the residence of the O'Neills in 1610 it was bought by Sir James Hamilton in1648 the Castle was damaged in 1666 it was restored and additions added another addition took place in1850-62 -- Restored in Rhineland style.
Killyleagh was settled in the 12th century by Norman knight John De Courcy who built fortifications on the site of the castle in 1180, as part of a series of fortifications around Strangford Lough for protection from the Vikings. In 1602 Gaelic chieftain Con O'Neill of Clandeboye owned large tracts of North Down, including Killyleagh. O'Neill sent his men to attack English soldiers after a quarrel and was consequently imprisoned.
O'Neill's wife made a deal with Scots aristocrat Hugh Montgomery to give him half of O'Neill's lands if Montgomery could get a royal pardon for O'Neill. Montgomery obtained the pardon but King James the1st, He then divided the land in three, with the area from Killyleagh to Bangor going to another Scot, James Hamilton Later Viscount Claneboye. A map of Killyleagh from 1625 showed the castle as having a single tower on the south side of a residence. In about 1625 Hamilton moved from Bangor to Killyleagh Castle. Where he built the courtyard walls It has been the home of the Hamilton family ever since.
Burial site of Conn O’Neill Chief of the Carrick- on- Suir or Uibh or Eoghain Fhinn O’Neills
The castle was the seat of Hugh O’Neill for the lower Bann area once it stood in the townland of Tamlaght O'Crilly, Eden.
Leinster (Irish province)
Home of the O’Neills of Magh de Chonn in Irish (Ua Neill a Magh da Chonn).
Lisburn Castle (1) (Castle of Lisnagarvey, O'Neill's Castle in Lisburn, Conway Castle)
Castle - "Very imposing was the appearance of the deposed O'Neill's residence which consisted of an immense pile of buildings situate on a mound that overlooked the valley through which the River Lagan ran and in its outward aspect seemed rather like some place of defense rather than the home of an Irish Prince. In its architecture the leading features were castellated turrets and high-peaked gables while right above the windows were numerous loopholes from each of which projected the muzzle of a cannon. The interior of the Castle, its living rooms, dormitories and audience chambers exhibited little, either in form of promotion or of comfort, carved panellings marked the finish of each apartment, and, as wood formed the principal fuel, the hearths occupied very large spaces."
C1395 – Niall Óg Ó Neill
Lough Oughter Co Cavan
Site of the O’Reilly Castle and Crannog where Owen Roe O’Neill died and where some locals still believe he is l buried today and not in Cavan town, in order to hide his remains from Cromwell’s troops.
Leaving site of Hugh O’Neill during the flight of the Earls also the returning site of his nephew Owen Roe O’Neill in 1641.
Mellifont Abbey (Irish: An Mhainistir Mhór, literally "the big abbey")
An important snyod was held in Mellifont in 1152 as recorded in the annals of Ireland, which states that the synod was attended by bishops and kings along with the papal legate John Paparo (Saint Malachy having died some ten years beforehand). The consecration of the church took place in 1157 and asserted Church authority by banishing the King of Meath,Donnchadh Ua Maeleachlainn. In 1603 the Treaty of Mellifont was agreed between the English Crown and Hugh O’Neill in the abbey grounds.
Mount Johnson Monreal Canada
Home of Sir John Johnson in 1765 direct descendant of the Great Shane O’Neill
O’Neills Castle Belfast Co Antrim
Belonged to Bryan McPhelim O’Neill Prince of the Clann Aodha Buidhe O’Neills Murdered by the Earl of Essex at a banquet including over 500 guests who were also murdered in 1575.
O'Neills Castle (castle of the O'Nials)
Residence of The O'Neills of the fews Drumragh, Omagh
John O’Neill of Shanes Castle once lived at 9 Henrietta,Dublin
O’Neill house built in the 18th century two storey house with thatched roof in Ballyshannon
Ancient Castle belonging to the O’Neill family from the time of Niall of the Nine hostages.
Portnelligan Castle (2) (Port an Fhaillagain or Pairc na gCloigeann, "fortified place of the saplings or field of the skulls")
The Castle stronghold was rebuilt and used as the headquarters of Henry Og Ó Neill who held most of Tiranny in Armagh, as well as Minterburn in Tyrone." In 1593 it was rebuilt by Henry Og Ó Neill and McHenry McShane O’Neill
Quintas Das Machadas Portugal
Country residence of the Portuguese O’Neills direct descendants of the O’Neill of Clandeboye
Red Bay Castle
It was built by the Bissett family in the 13th century on the site of an earlier motte and bailey outpost of the Kingdom of Dal Riata. The Bissett family were forfeited of their lands in Scotland and fled for their lives to Ireland after Walter de Bisset was accused of the murder of Patrick, Eral of Atholl, at Haddington,in 1242. King Henry 111 of England granted Bisset large possessions in the Barony of Glenarm, Ireland. John Mor MacDonald 1st of Dunnyveg married Margret Bissett of the Glens of Antrim, and acquired as a result the castle of Red Bay.
His descendants known as the MacDonnells of Antrim, extended and rebuilt the castle in the 16th century. In 1565, the castle was burned to the ground by Shane O’Neill, chief of the O’Neills of Tyrone; it was rebuilt by Sorley Boy MacDonnell, however later fell into disrepair. In 1604 the castle was restored and was later destroyed by Oliver Cromwell in 1652 during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland.
Residence of Shane O’Neill in the area of Upper Belfast in the townlands of Derryaghy, Mulaghglass
Is a castle a mile outside Newmills Co Tyrone, on the Dungannon to Stewartowns Road. It was built about 1618 by Sir Andrew Stewart (d.1639), 2nd Lord Castlestewart, eldest son of Andrew Stewart (1580-1629) the third Lord Ochiltree, 1st Lord Castlestewart who came from Scotland during the Plantation and established the nearby town of Stewartstown.
Andrew Stewart junior acquired the land of Ballokevan from Robert Stewart between 1610 and 1619 and built his castle overlooking Roughan Lough. It is a small square castle, three storeys high with a central tower 20 feet (6.1 m) square, flanked by thick rounded towers at each corner.The castle was once the refuge of Phelim O’Neill, leader of the Irish Rebellion of 1641.He was captured there in 1653 and taken to Dublin and executed via hanging for treason. The locals also tell a story that Phelim O’Neill had sought refuge from the Engliah on an old crannog in the nearby lough but was captured after his hiding place was betrayed.
Built by Maurice Fitzgerald in 1252 and later dates it was occupied by the O'Neills and the Magennis family
Shane O’Neills Burial Site
A cairn was raised at his reputed burial place above Cushendun by Francis Joseph Bigger in 1908 and yearly commemorations held in Shane's honour between that date and 1914. The poet Robinson Jeffers visited the site in 1929 and refers to Shane's Cairn in several poems in the sequence "Decent to the Dead," inspired by his pilgrimage to Ireland.
Shane's Castle (Eden-duff-carrick)
Is a ruined Castle near Randalstown in Co Antrim the castle is on the north-east shores of Lough Neagh. Built in 1345 by a member of the O’Neill dynasty, it was originally called Eden-duff-carrick. Shane MacBrien O'Neill changed the name to Shane's Castle in 1722. A terrace was built about the year 1800, in 1812 work was started to rebuild the castle to the designs of John Nash but the castle was devastated by a fire in 1816 and work abandoned. Only Nash's camellia house survives and was recently renovated. In the 1860s a second house was built by Charles Lanyon and William Henry Lynn of Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon, for the 1st Lord O’Neill.
Skerry Church yard
Ancient burial ground for the Clann Aodha Buidhe O’Neills
San Pietro Church Rome
Burial site of Hugh O’Neill the Earl of Tyrone and his son
St. Patrick's Church in Iskaheen, Innishowen, Donegal
Eoghan, King of Tír Eoghain, and Prince of Inis Eoghain is buried at St. Patrick's Church in Iskaheen, Innishowen, Donegal. A plaque there states "Eoghan Prince of Iniseoghain, Son of Niall of the Nine Hostages. He died in 465 of grief for his brother Conall. Baptised by Patrick and buried in Uisce Chaoin"
The Hill of Tara
Please see the hill of Tara write up in the history section for more detail.
The Tower of London
Three very famous O’Neills resided in the Tower of London, Conn O’Neill, Hugh O’Neills son, Art O’Neill his brother, and Daniel O’Neill of the Clandeboy Line
Home of the O’Nihills
Trinitarios Calzados De Madrid Convent
Site of a very famous painting of Art O’Neill during the Crusades in 1282, Art was descended from the O’Neills of the fews and was an ancestor of the Present O’Neill of the fews, Don Carlos O’Neill.
Tullymore Lodge Co Antrim
Situated in Broughshane was the dower house of the O’Neills of Shane’s Castle
Tyrone's Ditches (near Drumbanagher)
Rath or Castle vestiges of the intrenchment surrounding the principal strong hold of the Earl of Tyrone, during his wars with Queen Elizabeth it is curerrntly in the townlands of Loughgilly, Ballenan and were built by the Earl of Tyrone and his troops.
Please see the main history section under miscellaneous section concerning more details about Tullyhogue fort.
Coming soon to the history section places of interest